Old Secret Gem in Kotor Bay
The Old Town of Kotor is one of the best-preserved medieval urban entireties of this part of the Mediterranean that succeeded in preserving its original structure, typical for the towns between the XII and the XIV century. The asymmetric structure of the narrow streets and squares is rich in numerous valuable monuments of the medieval architecture, which contributed, among the other things,to Kotor to become part of the UNESCO World Heritage site list.
The cultural inheritance of this town consists of constructions unique for their architectonic style and the unique fitting into the ambient. The fortification system of Kotor, which is actually a wall 4,5 km long, 20 m high and 15 m wide, including its protection from the sea, was preserved as one of the world’s values.
Kotor Montenegro Church’s
The construction of the ramparts initiated in the Illyrian age and they were being built and rebuilt all up to the XVIII century. The oldest town gate, of the three existing in the town, is the “South” one partially constructed in the IX century, while the “North” and the “Main” gate were build in the renaissance style by the half of the XVI century. The representative monument of the Roman architecture in the Adriatic is the magnificent Cathedral of St. Tiphun, constructed in 1166 and built on the remains of the former temple from the IX century. There are the remains of the frescos from the XIV century and the valuable treasury with the domestic and Venetian golden works dating from the XIV till XX century. Just besides the cathedral, in the very town, there are magnificent examples of the sacral architecture originating from XII till XX century.
– Romanic church of St. Lucas was built during the reign of the great ruler Nemanja and his son Vukan in 1195;
– Romanic church of St. Ana originating from the end of the XII century with frescos dating back from the XV century;
– Romanic church of St. Marry originating from 1221. There are remains of the monumental fresco painting as well as the early Christian baptistery;
– Gothic church of St. Mihovil, built on the remains of the Benediction monastery from the VII century with frescos dating back from XV century;
– St. Clara’s church from XIV century with extremely beautiful marble altar, work of Francesco Cabianca, from the XVIII century.
– The Church of Lady of health originating from XV century.
– The Orthodox Church of St. Nicolas, built by the beginning of the XX century, with valuable collection of icons.
Kotor Montenegro palace
There are also numerous palaces in the town: the Drago palace with Gothic windows from XV century, the Bizanti palace from XVII century, the Pima palace, from XVI century, with typical renaissance and baroque forms, the Grubonja palace with the built-in emblem of the old Kotor’s pharmacy established in 1326; the Grgurina palace, from XVII century, today representing the Naval museum, and finally we have the Clock tower, from XVI century, with the medieval pillory just beside it.
Your Best Guide Of Kotor Old Town With Secret Tips
Kotor Old Town Gates
You can enter Kotor throught three town gates:
The Main gate – The Sea Gate
The main gates is the Sea Gate on the west side. It dates from 16th century and are constructed at the time of Venetian Providure Bernard Renier. A long time ago the sea reached the very entrance. The gate was builde in the Renaissance and Baroque style, the proof of which is the pillar and the arch done in the Bunjato technique. The gate is surrounded by massive stone blocks and stone pillars. The Sea Gate has a vaulted passage.
Interior of the Sea Gate
On the right side there is Gothic relief from the fifteenth century showing Our Lady with Crist. On the left side is St. Tryphone with the model of the city and to the right St. Bernard holding „Hostia“.
The South Gate
Gurdic Gate, also called the South Gate, was once hardened with three belts of gateways. It testifield that this gat5e was very important for the town. It was separated from land by a drawnbridge. This bridge used to be lowered on the rainy day it boils out from the cave muzzle and forced back the sea water. During the summer time the river disappears in Lovcen abysses and sea water fills in the gap again.
Bastion Gurdic was bult in 15th century, due to the increasing threat of Turks.
Gate of the river’s or the North Gate was buld in the Renaissance style to preserve a memory of Kotor’s victory over famous Turkish admiral Hajrudi barbarosa in 1539. There is an inscription above it, saying that Barbarosa besieged the town with 2000 ships and 30.000 soldiers, but still did’t manage conquer it.
Squares Of The Old Town Of Kotor
The square of Arms is at the same time the largest town’s sqaure. This name was given to it becouse in Venetian period it was the place where arms were repaires and stored. It is surrounded by the beautiful Providur’ Palace, Napoleone Theatre, The Clock Tower, Arsenal building and Tower Of Town Guard.
Square of flour
From the Bizanty Palacce onward you come to Square of Flour. It was named after the warehouses for flour which once were there. The palaces of noble families Pima and Buca are in the square.
St. Tryphone Square
The most significant institutions of the town are located here: buildong of Municipality, Bishopric, Historical Archieves, the Institution for Protection for Protection of Cultural monuments and Cathedral od St. Tryphon.
St. Tryphone Cathedral
The Romanesque church built in 1166 on the foundations of the small romanesque church from the ninth century. It is three-nave Basilica, extensively restored several times. Especially after the 1667 eathquake when the bell tower and a part of the fasade were destroyed. After the eathquake, new bell towers were made in the Baroque style. Once they were Romanesque but today rhey are with Gothic-Renaissance motives. St. Tryphon’s Cathedral has in its possesion a rich collection of art paintings preserving the work of Marin Lovra Dobričević, Tripo Kokolj, Paolo Verovez, Hieronim Croce and other great artist. The church has a rich cellection of gold and silver relics, the works of loacl masters from the priod from the fourteenth to the eighteenth centuries.
The Grgurine palace
The palace Grguriny belonged to the noble family Grgurin. It was built in the eighteenth century in the Baroque style, with the facade on thitch dominate stone balconies with balustrades. Particularly interesting is originally preserved lay out of the floor rooms according to the Venetian pattern whichsays: the master’s house has four rooms and one parlour. Today it is the home of the Maritime Museum. It’s collection shoes development of maritime affairs and cultural level of the inhabitants of the Montenerin Littoral and bay of kotor ( Boka Kotorska) in the past.
St. Ozana’s Church
This church was built in 1221 on foundations of the old Christian Episcopal basilica from the sixth century. The Church was one a baptistery – whitch was dicovered in the research after the 1979 eathquake. The church depicted with frescoes in the fourteenth century by pictores greci. Today in the church there are relics of Saint Ozana, and that is why the citizens of Kotor alco call this church Blessed Otana. The doors of the church are the work of fmouse artist Vasko Lipovac. The relief on the door represents the life of blessed Ozana.
St. Luca’s Square
St. Lucass Church
The church eas built by Mauro Kacafrangy in 1195. The ktitor’s inscription on the western facade is a testament of that. This is a modest one-nave church whode main nave is longitudinally divided in to three part. St. Luca’s church has characteristics of the Romanesque and byzantine architecture. This is the only building in the town which did nt suffer any major damage during eathquake. It was embellished with frescoes soon after it’c construction, of which remained only some fragments on the southern wall. The church altar was tje work of Dascal Dimitrije, the founder of the Rafailovic school of painting from the seventeenth century. Once this church was catholic, but later it was given to orthodox people to use. Thus the church has two altars – the catholic and orthodox. The church floor is made of tombstones of common tombs of Kotor citizens, as burials took place in the very church until 1930’s.
St. Nocola’s church
The bulding of the church started in 1902 and according to the inscriptins of the facade it was finiched in 1909. It was build in the Pseudo-Byzantine style as one-nave church. The main facade is framed with two bell towers. Of special value in the church is iconostasis of the churchmade in 1908.
The church St. Klara
This church with Franciscan monastery derived from the eighteenth century. The church has a luxurios baroque altar, the work of the sulptor Francesco Kabjanka. On the place of today’s Franciscan monastey once there was Benedictine monastery for women with church of St. Bartholomew which does not exist today. The monastery was a very library with a great number of old books, printed from 1450 to 1500.
The Cinema square
There are two churches on the squares, church of St. Michael and church of Our Lady of Angels.
Church of St. Michael was build in XiV or XV century. Like the inscriptions on the walls say, on the place where in the X century existed even more bigger church. After the eathquake the church was reconstructed. Today in this church threre is Lapidarium where can find collection of stone monuments. Former church of Our Lady of Angels today is used as cinema.
Square of salad
This small square used to be the place where loacl women sell their products ( salad, vegetable..)
Kotor Old Town Attraction
Kotor among few of Mediterranean towns which has preserved it’s fortification system up to today. The walls surrounded the old town of Kotor were one of the main motives and reasons why the UNESCO put this city on the list of the world natural and cultural heritag in 1979. The fortification system of the Kotor was build and developed through centuries. The walls are 4.5km in lenght, at some place they reach 20m in hight and 2-16m thick. At the sea level of 260m there is St. Ivan’s fortess on the basisi of which there are traced Illyrian period.
Karampana fountine in the past was the only source of fresh water in the town. In present from the fountain deeives from the Baroque Epoch, from the end of the deventeenth or the beginning of the eighteenth century. Th forget rail is the work of an unknown master blacksmith.
Venetian military hospital was built at the middle of 18th century. Today building is hosted by Cultural center of Kotor.
The Old Prison building
The old prison building was designed by loacl architect Marco benzona, built during the Austo hungarian time.